- Eliminate all sources of standing water such as children's wading pools, birdbaths and flower pots;
- Keep rain gutters cleaned out to prevent water from standing in drains;
- Cut back or get rid of unnecessary vegetation around the home where mosquitoes can breed and/or rest;
- Keep swimming pools covered in colder months to prevent mosquitoes from laying their eggs there, and drain any water that has collected on top of pool covers;
- Remove water that has collected in tree holes and hollow stumps;
- Screen windows and doors to prevent mosquitoes from getting inside homes; and
- Consider using yellow bug light bulbs in outdoor light fixtures – the bulbs reduce the number of flying insects around your home.
“As the temperatures continue to rise, mosquito populations boom and the recent rains have created the perfect breeding ground for another banner year,” said Charlie Jones, Arrow Pest Expert and SVP of Operations. “Homeowners should take precautions because these pests do more than leave behind itchy red bites, they can also spread diseases like West Nile Virus, Zika Virus and Chikungunya Fever.”
Needing only small amounts of standing water to breed – a bottle cap full is enough – these blood-sucking pests can develop from egg to adult in just 10-14 days. Additionally, these pests are always in search of their next meal and sense a potential target from up to 75 feet away.
Arrow protects homes from pests with the STEPS® Total Protection System™, an industry-leading approach that utilizes Integrated Pest Management (IPM). STEPS includes a full property evaluation to pinpoint pest issues; identification of not only the pest, but the true cause of the problem; and treatment in the most environmentally responsible way to alleviate current issues and to help prevent future recurrences. Consumers interested in scheduling a free whole home evaluation can contact Arrow at www.arrowexterminators.com or call 888-462-7769.